How to Keep Your Closet Tidy
Have you ever been in a situation when you are getting late for an interview or for a date and can’t seem to find your clothes from your own closet? I’m sure that happens quite often to most of us. It must have been ages since you last organized your clothing. Imagine how much money and time you spent looking for the right outfit and then not being able to wear them when you want. Now it’s time to arrange them in closet and make your life easier. Here’s how you can do it in no time.
- Get all your clothes out of your closet. Empty your closet by taking all of your clothes/shoes out of it. It sounds like a lot of work but trust me this is the best way to get started. You may turn some music on to keep yourself going if that helps.
- Clean the closet. We don’t often realize how much dust and dirt can be inside our closet even though it is mostly closed. So, clean inside of your closet with an old piece of cloth for a good start. Use air freshener to get rid of the damp.
- Separate clothes according to seasons. You might have summer and winter clothes kept altogether in the same closet. So, separate them. If you are living in a city/state where the weather is mostly warm, keep your winter clothes on your top shelf/drawer which you can’t reach easily and that is out of your sight. Do the opposite for cold weather.
- Separate clothes by colors, sizes and events: Make sure you keep your work clothes separated from party dresses and sleepwear from sportswear.
- Don’t forget to organize them by size either. If you are a size 4 now and think you might get back into size 2, don’t mix all the sizes together.
- Moreover, arrange your clothes by colors. Keep all your whites together and as you go for darker colors arrange them accordingly. You will be amazed to find out how many of black pants and white shirts you own and don’t use them all- rather you keep buying more. Therefore, ordering them by categories will make your job easier every time you want to get ready to be somewhere and when you think you need a new white shirt where as you already have one.
- Use hangers to organize. Hangers are the best way to keep your closet tidy and so put most of your clothes in hangers. Later if you are in hurry, you can just pull the hanger out and wear what you want instead of searching it from a pile of clothes and making a mess.
- Cover special outfits. For particular outfits which are not used frequently but we keep them anyhow; like wedding dress and suits, they need extra care. You can put them in suit-covers. This way they can be better protected while being unused in the closet.
- Do not use hangers for some clothes. For clothes like loose knits such as scarves or sweaters, do not put them in hangers as they might go out of shape by doing so. Keep your sweaters folded while keep socks, stockings and under garments in drawers.
- Be ready to donate. You will be surprised that you might have some clothes in your closet which you haven’t worn in a long time and don’t wish to wear them anytime in future. They might be out of fashion or not of your current size. So, no point storing them and it’s time to donate these clothes either to Salvation Army or for a garage sale or to someone who can make use of it. Make a list of clothes that you plan to donate and stack them in a box/bag. If you have emotional attachment with any clothes, take pictures wearing them and post it inside your closet or in an album before you store or donate.
- Keep your shoes, hats and bags separated. If you have shoes in your closet, make sure you keep them separated from clothes and of course according the types of shoes. For boots, it’s better to store them with winter outfits. You should also allow some room for your hats, bags and belts. Make sure they don’t take too much space while being neat.
- Allow a lot of time before you get started. Have patience and don’t get distracted. Once you are done you will be proud of yourself.
- Every time you put your clothes back in closet, make sure they are kept in the right order- right color coordination, size and event. Your work will be much easier and you can be more organized if you wash and iron them when you put them back. This will save your time and energy next time you want to wear them.
- It’s best to use plastic hangers instead of metal or wooden ones. If you think your closet needs remodeling and that way you can get more space- go ahead.
- Painting your closet is a good idea for a change. Put some thoughts to choose the right color that goes with the rest of your room and your personality. Make sure you allow enough time to dry the paint before putting clothes back in it.
- If you are running out of space for clothes and you need them anyhow, store them under your bed. Put them in suitcases or cartons and label them.
- If you have too many clothes and cant organize them all by yourself, seek help from your mom or an elder sister or a close friend who won’t mind doing it.
- Don’t just throw away your clothes. If not to you, it might be useful to someone else.
- Keeping your closet tidy is an ongoing process. Make a habit of organizing it in every 3 months. This will help you to get rid of unused clothes and rearrange them the way you want.
- Take a picture after you are done arranging your outfits. This will help you next time and remind you how tidy you can be.
- Before you make any remodeling of your closet, make sure you take approval from your parents and/ landlord. Get the right tools if you are doing yourself or the right person who is good at it.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Keep Your Closet Tidy. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.
Further Resources…TIDY TEEN CLOSETS
Shop and compare on Amazon.com – Read the testimonials and compare the price!